- What has God given men in order to teach them how to glorify and enjoy Him?
God gave men the Word of God, which is contained in the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, in order to teach them how to glorify and enjoy Him.
(2 Timothy 3:16-17)
- What do the Scriptures primarily teach us?
The Scriptures teach what man should believe about God and the salvation that is in Jesus Christ; they also teach us what God requires of man.
(2 Timothy 3:15-16)
- How are the Scriptures used for the salvation of sinners?
The Spirit of God uses the reading, and especially the preaching of God’s Word, to convict sinners of their sin, lead them to repentance and give them wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ.
(Romans 1:16, Romans 10:17, Hebrews 4:12)
- How are the Scriptures used for the sanctification of believers?
The Scriptures teach believers what God has done for them in Jesus Christ and what He has promised to do in them through the Holy Spirit so that they might know and trust in the sanctifying grace of God.
(2 Peter 1:4, Psalm 119:105, 2 Timothy 3:15)
- How else are the Scriptures used for the sanctification of believers?
The Scriptures warn believers about the dangers of sin and teach them what God has commanded them through Jesus Christ; they also instruct believers how to walk in those commands by the sanctifying grace of God’s Spirit.
(1 Corinthians 10:11-12, Psalm 119:11)
- How should we read the Scriptures so that they will be useful to us?
We must diligently read God’s Word with a prayerful and attentive heart; we must receive it with faith and love, lay it up in our hearts, and practice it in our lives.
(James 1:2, Hebrews 4:2, Psalm 119:11)