The Apostles’ Creed
I believe in God the Father almighty, Maker of heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ his only begotten Son, our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; the third day he rose from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sits on the right hand of God the Father almighty; from where he will come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit; the holy catholic Church; the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the dead and in everlasting life. Amen
- Are there more Gods than One?
There is only one true and living God, who exists in three Persons; the Father, Son and Holy Spirit; and these three are one God, sharing the same substance, equal in power and glory.
- There is one God (Deuteronomy 6:4)
- God are three Persons in One (1 Peter 1:2, Matthew 28:19, 1 John 5:7)
- Can we fully understand how God can be Three in One? (No, we believe it because that is what God has taught us in His Word.)
- Who created all things?
God the Father created all things through and for His Son, and filled creation with His Spirit.
- The Father created all things (Genesis 1:1)
- The Father created all things through His Son (John 1:1-3)
- The Father created all things for His Son (Colossians 1:15-16)
- The Holy Spirit is near to creation (Genesis 1:3)
- Did God create the world for mankind?
- Were you created to live for Jesus or for yourself?
- What does it mean to live for Jesus?
- What was God’s eternal purpose in the creation of the world?
God the Father determined to glorify His Son and through Him to display the immeasurable riches of His grace.
- The Father created the world to glorify His Son (Colossians 1:17-18)
- The Father created the world to show His grace (Ephesians 2:6-7)
- How has God shown His grace to you?
- How did God determine to accomplish this purpose?
The Father determined to call a people out of darkness, pardon them, adopt them as His children through the redemptive work of His Son and grant them to rule and reign under the authority of His exalted Son forever.
- God determined to call His chosen people out of darkness (1 Peter 2:9-10)
- God determined to adopt us as His children and forgive our sins (Ephesians 1:3-8)
- God determined to grant His people an eternal kingdom (Revelation 2:6-7)
- How does it make you feel to be part of God’s chosen people?
- Do you realize that it is not only a privilege but also comes with the responsibility to represent God?
- How can we represent God well?