- What is the primary purpose of man?
The primary purpose of man is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever.
- The primary purpose of mankind is to glorify God (1 Corinthians 10:31)
- The primary purpose of mankind is to enjoy God (Psalm 63:5-6)
- In what ways can we glorify God?
- In what ways can we enjoy God?
- Did man remain good after he was created good by God?
The first man, Adam, became a rebel by transgressing God’s command, and for this reason was cast out of God’s presence.
- Adam sinned against God and was cast out of the Garden of Eden (Genesis 3:22-24)
- God cast Adam out of the Garden of Eden for disobeying God’s command; what does this tell you about how seriously God thinks about sin?
- Did the first man’s transgression affect his offspring?
Through the transgression of Adam, sin, separation from God and death entered the world and spread to all men.
- Through Adam sin and death entered the world (Romans 5:12 & 18)
- Share about how other people’s sins have affected you.
- Also share about how your sins have affected others.
- What is sin?
Sin is rebellion against God in general and transgression against His commands in particular.
- Sin is rebellion against God (Romans 8:7-8)
- Sin is disobeying God’s commands (1 John 3:4)
- Lying, stealing and murder are three particular sins; discuss how these three sins are not just sins against other people but also sins against God.
- Do all people commit sin?
Except for Christ, all people have not only sinned against God, but have become slaves to sin.
- All people have sinned (Romans 3:23)
- Everyone who has not been born again is a slave to sin (John 8:34-36)
- What does it mean that people are slaves to sin?
- If all men are slaves to sin, why does God hold them responsible for their sin?
Men are willful slaves to sin, they cannot obey God only because they do not want to obey God; they are self-centered and hostile to God, to His truth and to His ways.
- Men are slaves to sin because they serve their own desires (James 1:14-15)
- Men are slaves to sin because they are hostile towards God (Romans 8:7-8)
- Can unsaved people obey God? (Yes they can, but they don’t because they don’t want to.)
- How will God punish sinful men?
God, in His holy wrath, will cast all unredeemed people away from His presence into a place of eternal punishment called hell.
- God will punish sinners with eternal punishment (Matthew 25:46)
- What does God’s punishment on sin show us about the sinfulness of sin and the holiness of God? (The fact of eternal hell shows us that sin is utterly sinful and God is absolutely holy and opposed to sin.)