THE BEATITUDES (Matthew 5:3-10)
Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
- What is the summary of Christ’s Law?
Christ’s Law is summed up in two commands: love God with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength, and love others in the same way we love ourselves.
- The Law of Christ commands that we love God supremely (Matthew 22:37-38)
- The Law of Christ commands that we love others as much as we love ourselves (Matthew 22:39)
- Do you think these are good commands?
- Do you obey these commands? Why or why not?
- How do we show love for God?
We show our love for God by worshipping Him alone, rejoicing in Him, trusting Him and obeying Him.
- We show our love for God by worshipping Him alone (Exodus 20:3)
- We show our love for God by rejoicing in Him (Habakkuk 3:18)
- We show our love for God by trusting Him (Proverbs 3:5)
- We show our love for God by obeying Him (Psalm 119:4)
- Why should we worship God?
- What does it mean to rejoice in God?
- Why should we trust God?
- Why should we obey God?
- How do we show love for others?
We love others by doing good to them, praying for them, forgiving them and blessing them.
- We love others by doing good to them (Galatians 6:10)
- We love others by praying for them (1 Timothy 2:1)
- We love others by forgiving them (Mark 11:25)
- We love others by blessing them (Romans 12:14)
- Name some ways we can do good to people.
- Name some people you often pray for.
- How else do we show love for others?
We love others by obeying God’s commands; we do not lie, steal, hate, speak evil or break any of God’s commands.
- We love others by obeying God’s commands (Romans 13:8-10)
- Explain to the child that all the commands of Christ are meant to either show us how to love God, how to love people or how to love both God and people.
- How do we walk on the road that leads to eternal life?
We walk on the road of holiness which leads to eternal life by obeying the commands of Jesus Christ through the grace of God’s Spirit.
- We walk of the road that leads to eternal life by obeying Jesus’ commands (Matthew 7:14, 24-25)
- We live holy by the grace of the Holy Spirit (Romans 8:13-14)
- Do you want to obey God’s commands?
- Do you think you can do it without God’s Spirit helping you?
- How do people walk on the road that leads to destruction?
Someone walks on the road that leads to destruction by living in disobedience to the commands of Jesus Christ.
- People walk on the road to destruction by disobeying the commands of Jesus Christ (Matthew 7:13, 26-27)
- Why do people disobey Jesus’ commands if His commands are so good?
- Why do you disobey Jesus’ commands?